1. Principal’s Message
Dear HIS Families
Tomorrow after our Open House, we will have a Parent Strategic Planning Workshop (1:00pm-3:00pm) where you will have a chance to discuss you ideas for the future goals of our school. We have a Vision and a Mission for HIS and our goals will align with these. Here is a link to the presentation that will be used: HIS Strategic Planning Presentation 2017 In here, you can find a survey where you can input your ideas, even if you can’t make it tomorrow. I will include ideas from the workshop in the Crane next week to which you can further contribute. We also have a Supporting English Language Learning workshop and an MYP Personal Project workshop before lunch – details below. Have a great weekend.
Damian Rentoule (Principal)
2. Crane Video
3. Parent Assessment/PYP Self Study Workshops
We will be running a Parent Assessment Workshop and a PYP Self Study Workshop for the PYP & MYP on March 10 upstairs at Tully’s.
- 6:00pm – 6:30pm Arrive for coffee and chatting at 6:00pm
- 6:30pm – 7:15pm PYP Self Study (Yes, parents participate in the IB self studies.)
- 7:30pm – 8:15pm PYP & MYP Assessment Workshop
4. Spring Holiday Child Care
We have three teachers joining us for the Holiday Care (Ryoko, Jerry and Denise) and we have a wonderful program organised including a rotation each day between the following activities, structured for the different age-groups:
- Physical activity on the playground in the morning
- Design thinking focus – problem solving each day. (e.g. Constructing free-standing structures, designing the ultimate animal, coin boat challenge.)
- Music – singing and guitar
- Art – Drawing lessons by our resident illustrator, Jerry as well as Arts and crafts
- Library time to relax after lunch
- Sports – freeze tag and a variety of other games.
Secondary CAS students under the supervision of the teachers will also join to lead activities that they have designed. A great way for our primary and secondary student to interact.
For our PYP students (EC1-Grade 5). Places are limited, so please sign up as early as possible.
- Dates: Monday February 27 to Friday March 3
- Time: Regular HIS hours 9:00am – 3:20pm
- Cost: ¥20,000 for the week
- Transport: A bus will be provided. Cost of bus to be determined.
- Program: Creativity & Movement: The program for the week will focus on creativity and movement with a variety of activities each day keeping students physically active and engaged in the creative arts while maintaining an English language environment.
- Application: Please email Ms Hirata at email@example.com
5. PYP Re-Evaluation Process: The Self-Study
In order to implement the International Baccalaureate® (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP), schools must successfully complete the IB’s authorization process. For HIS, this means a school visit visiting team comprising of two PYP experts will be visiting us in March 2018. This process is necessary and compulsory to ensure that each candidate school develops the skills, structures and values to offer the PYP. To ensure we are representing the whole school community, we will shortly be scheduling governer, parent and student discussion groups to share, analyse and reflect on how effectively HIS implements teaching and learning in the PYP.
To this end, we hope that we can provide a variety of opportunities for your participation in our self-study via face-to-face meetings and online surveys. We would also be interested to hear if you would be willing to sit as a member of the interview panel for a short discussion with the visiting team next March. Japanese and Korean speakers are very welcome to join! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Clare Barnfather, PYP Coordinator via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Upcoming visitors to HIS
- Global Jaya School visit from Indonesia – An Indonesian school, Global Jaya, is coming to visit us on Monday February 20 to do a short performance on Indonesian culture in the Gym. It will be during Period 3 from 10:30am-11:00am. The group will arrive at school at 9:30am and have a tour before spending some time setting up. The visiting students are Grade 9 and there will be 70 students, so it is quite a large group. It will be a good chance for our students to be exposed to some aspects of Indonesian culture and meet students from a different part of the world. Parents are welcome to come at 11:00am to see the presentation in the Gym.
- Les Miserables Performer at HIS- “Rob Rouchen, fresh from the West End stage, having appeared from 2013-2016 in the role of Marius nearly 1000 times in Les Miserables, here is your chance to learn from a true London West End Star.” In late March (28 Tuesday) we have Rob Rouchen, a performer from Les Miserables, coming to HIS and he is willing to provide some workshops for our students.The visit is being kindly arranged by a local Hiroshima resident, Kevin Scott. Many thanks to Kevin, who once taught at HIS. It is a great opportunity for our students to have some exposure to a performer and learn some drama skills in this context. It is a fortunate coincidence that our students are very familiar with Les Miserables from their performance last year. We are yet to arrange the schedule for the day, however parents will be welcome to come in and view workshops. Details will be posted on the Crane.
7. News from the PTA (10 Feb 2017) (日本語は以下にあります)
1)Election of Parent/Guardian representative to Board of Trustees
Last November, the PTA invited parents and guardians to put forward nominations for the Board of Trustees (BOT). Unfortunately, we did not receive any nominations. We are therefore sending out another request. It is an important job and will not take up too much of your time (3 meetings per year). We hope that at least one person will put their name forward. The deadline is Monday 20 February. Further information about the process can be found in this link:
We were seeking volunteers for helping Baker Books. We had one application. Thank you very much for your help.
3) Help for Delivery Bento Box needed!
We are seeking volunteers for Delivery Bento Box every Friday from 12:30 to 14:00. Thanks to the teachers, we don’t have to take them to the classrooms. The main job is to keep an eye so that everything goes smoothly. If you have any business at school on Friday, the job is calling you! If you are interested, please send us an email at: email@example.com
We have some information about HIS Festival. Your children also must have brought home handouts about HIS Festival. Please read it carefully, especially the volunteer sign up sheet!! We appreciate your help.
** It will not be accepted online.
< plans up to April >
Wed 22 Feb 10:00am PTA Monthly Meeting at Hacchobori Peace Cafe
*report from Strategic Planning Workshop for
parents and Guardians held on 11Feb
*report about progress on HIS Festival
*PTA events on May and June
HIS Idol Final Stage: details TBA
Wed 29 Mar 9:00am PTA Monthly Meeting at HIS
Sat 15 Apr HIS Festival
If you have any question, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org