1. Principal’s Message
Dear HIS Families
As we approach the end of another school year, one of the big questions that we must ask ourselves as parents is, how much has my child read this year? You can’t do much about the past, but you can reflect on it and make plans for the future. If you look at the table below, some information related to the effects of reading can be seen. Reading strengthens language skills, which support other academic development. Parents control routines at home. Please make reading an important part of your child’s routine.
Enjoy your weekend, perhaps with a book.
Damian Rentoule (Principal)
2. The Crane Video
3. Congratulations to our Grade 12 Students
The graduation ceremony and dinner is on Saturday afternoon for the Class of 2017. Congratulations to you all. We wish you the best of luck in your future adventures. The graduation ceremony will be held at Mitsui Garden Hotel at 4:30pm and you are welcome to come along to help the Grade 12s celebrate.
4. Science Fair
- Grade 6 – Himawari (The Effects on Vision by Natural and Electric Lights)
- Grade 7 – Seiko (The Effects of Parachutes Surface Area and Drop Time)
- Grade 8 – Amy and Mairi (Wine versus Toothpaste)
- Grade 9 – Lisa and Elin (Molding Championships)
- Grade 10 – Kent (Keeping It Together)
5. Peace Park Concert
Our Primary Choir will be performing at a concert at the Peace Park on Saturday. It will be a big crowd with a famous pianist playing as well. Good luck to our Primary Choir.
- PeaceMusicConcertDETAILS.docx-3 (1) (Information letter)
- 会場図面0518-2HIS (Map)
- 平和発信コンサートチラシ最終 (Brochure)
6. PYP Self-study
Clare Barnfather (PYP Coordinator)
7. Sakura Medal Winners
HIS Sakura Medal Book Trailer Contest AWARD WINNERS 2017. Congratulations!
HIGH SCHOOL A –AWARDS
|FIRST PLACE AWARD||ELIN（G9）
|THIRD PLACE AWARD||MONET (G9)|
|SECOND PLACE AWARD||SEIKO (G7)|
|THIRD PLACE AWARD||RINO (G7)|
|THIRD PLACE AWARD||AMILY (G7)|
|THIRD PLACE AWARD||KOSEI (G7)|
|THIRD PLACE AWARD||LILICO (G6)|
|SECOND PLACE AWARD||YOONKYUNG (G9)
|〃||The Six ザ・シックス||愛実李（7年生）|
8. Secondary Exam Week
9. Primary and Secondary Reading Workshop
10. Hiroshima Student Peace Forum (Open to Secondary students)
The Hiroshima Junior Chamber of Commerce (JCC) is organizing a Student Peace Forum over the summer holiday. HIS has been assisting with some of the arrangements and we are one of the endorsing organisations for the event. I will be helping out over the three days. It looks like it will be a great opportunity for out students to have a meaningful experience working on global issues, interacting with students from other schools while having some fun along the way. It is open to 30 students from Japanese schools and 30 students from overseas or international schools in Japan. See below for more information.
Brochure in English (You will see a great photo of our Grade 6 students at Hiroshima Castle on the pamphlet.)
Information in English & Japanese
Application in English & Japanese
Application Procedure in English & Japanese
11. HIS Holiday program
HIS will be running a holiday program for three weeks on the following dates.
- Week 1 : Monday, July 24 to Friday, July 28
- Week 2 : Monday, July 31 to Friday, August 4
- Week 3 : Monday, August 7 to Friday, August 11
- 9:00am – 3:20pm (Regular HIS hours)
- ￥20,000 / child / week
- Bus fee is ￥10,000 / week
Click here for HIS-Summer-Program-2017
12. PTA News
13. Japanese Outline
14. HIS Idol
HIS IDOL GRAND FINALE 2017 from Jackie Ikegami
Well done to all the students who have worked so hard in the run up to next week’s finale for HIS Idol. Huge thanks to Mr B for organising the heats, and to all the teachers and helpers who gave up their lunchtimes for the really hard task of narrowing all of your talent down to only 12 finalists.
We have had so many great entries this year that it is going to take until the beginning of next week before we are able to announce who those 12 finalists will be, so the excitement is mounting!
Finalists and their parents will be notified by e-mail as soon as we know, and everyone else can find out who made it by checking the school Facebook page, and the poster in the genkan at school.
We hope to see lots of HIS families at International House to support our talented finalists regardless of who makes it through. Everyone who has entered is a winner in our book anyway. Please feel free to invite your friends and family along to this event to support your children.
Three special guest judges have generously signed up for the difficult task of selecting this year’s winners.
- Dr Peter Goldsbury, from the UK, who has served HIS for many years as a member of the Board of Directors of HIS.
- Mr Allen Strawbridge, from the US. Teacher of music at MCAS High School on the US Naval Base at Iwakuni.
Both Dr Goldsbury and Mr Strawbridge are returning for the 3rd year as judges at HIS Idol.
Joining us for the first time is Ms Mizuho Yamaguchi, from Japan. She has extensive experience in the musical theatre and opera world, and we are grateful to her for agreeing to check out our students. We would like to thank them all for their time and their kindness.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE FINALE
DATE: Friday, June 2nd, 2017
PLACE: Hiroshima International House 2F Hall (広島市留学生会館 http://www.i-house-hiroshima.jp/
- DOORS OPEN: 5:00pm
- SHOW STARTS: 6:30pm
Volunteer parents will be distributing sandwiches to those who have ordered them in advance, from 5:30pm to 6:15pm.
The deadline for ordering sandwiches is tonight, Friday May 26th.
Please order here if you haven’t already. Please fill out the order form once for every person who will order a sandwich. Parents and friends may also order.
Thanks to Mari McCullum who has generously agreed to organise some food to keep everyone going.
ACT 1 (6:30pm)
HIS IDOL COMPETITION
The 12 finalists above will compete for the HIS Idol trophy. The overall winning act will be able to take the Trophy home for a limited time, but must return it to school to be used again next year.
INTERVAL (around 7:45-8:00pm)
ACT 2 (8:00pm~)
HIS CLASS ACT COMPETITION
Classes will compete for the Class Act Trophy. The trophy will be displayed in the classroom of the winning act for the remainder of the year.
AWARDS CEREMONY : (around) 8:30pm
By 9pm at the latest: CLEAN UP & GO HOME
- There is no private changing room available. Children may get changed in the off stage storage room or in the bathrooms.
- If your child is a finalist, please let as know ASAP if they will be absent or late for any reason.
- Times are approximate depending on how long the performances take.
- As there is a Carp game on the same night, the area will be very busy. We recommend public transport, or getting there as early as you can to ensure getting a parking space.
Good luck to all involved See you all on Friday!
Contact: Homeroom teachers about Class Acts, Mr B about content of the show, Jackie Ikegami about the logistics of the Finale.