- PTA Donations,
- Parent Information Night,
- Japanese Workshop,
- Autumn Holiday Care,
- IB Terms Translated,
- Secondary Camp Information,
- Online Accounts for Students,
- After School Activities Sign-Up
1. Principal’s Message
Dear HIS Families
One of our hopes, illustrated in the school Mission, is for our students to use the knowledge, understanding, skills, and attitudes that they develop within their units of inquiry at HIS to take action; to contribute and make a positive impact in their community. I would like to thank Youki Kotani, a HIS 2017 graduate, for a contribution that he has made to our community here at HIS. Youki designed a variety of variations of a HIS logo featuring a paper crane, which we are now able to make use of. Thank you very much for this wonderful contribution. You can see an example below and another in the header for the Crane. They look great.
Damian Rentoule (Principal)
2. The Crane Video
3. PTA News
4. PTA Donation
The PTA kindly donated 150,000yen to HIS at the end of last year to support our programs. 100,000yen will be used to help purchase a set of lockers for the Secondary and 50,000yen will be used to purchase some more Lego for the Primary. This has been made possible by the ongoing fundraising efforts of our wonderful PTA and we thank you for your education to our students.
5. Parent Information Night
- Thursday 7 September is our annual Parent Information Night. The purpose of this night is to get an understanding of your child’s program for the year. Parents of PYP students will be able to meet with the grade-level class teachers. Parents of students in the MYP and DP will meet with grade-level homeroom teachers.
- We will start the night at 6:15 for a Kanji workshop. 6:15-6:45 will focus on Kanji learning in the secondary (MYP) program. 6:45-7:15 will focus on Kanji learning in the PYP. (More information below.)
- From 6:45 to 7:15, secondary subject teachers will be in the gym for an informal meet and greet. Information about individual courses in the MYP & DP will be provided.
- At 7:30, all parents are invited to meet with their child’s class teacher (primary grades) or homeroom teachers (secondary grades).
- Closing remarks from Dr. Rentoule and the PTA will conclude the evening at 8:30.
- We hope that as many parents as possible will be able to join us. Light refreshments and snacks will be served throughout the evening.
We are also looking for student volunteers to guide parents to classrooms. If your child is interested in this opportunity, please contact Ms. Pechhold.
6. Workshop on Supporting Japanese at Home
At the Parent Information Evening, the Japanese Department will hold a workshop about Japanese homework and supporting Japanese learning at home, especially kanji learning across the curriculum. The workshop will be provided in Japanese.
- Date: Thursday, September 7th
- Time: 6:15 pm ~ 7:15 pm
- 6:15 pm ~ 6:45 pm MYP focus
- 6: 45pm ~ 7:15 pm PYP focus
- Place: HIS Japanese Room 1 (next to former principal’s office)
We are looking for to meeting you then! (Japanese Department)
- 日時：９月７日(木) 6:15 pm ~ 7:15 pm
- 6:15 pm ~ 6:45 pm MYP focus
- 6: 45pm ~ 7: 15 pm PYP focus
- 開催教室：HIS Japanese Room 1 (旧校長室隣り)
7. Autumn Holiday Care
8. IB terms translated
If you ever wondered what the official translation is for the IB words we use, here is a list that may help: IB Japanese English translated terms.
9. Secondary Camp Information
Secondary Students will go to Osorakan Ecological Camp 13-15 September, which is coming up very soon. Please find the camp information letter here: Secondary Camp Ososakan September 2017
Please return permission forms by next Friday.
10. Online Accounts for Students
As we often create online accounts for students to access resources, we would like to make sure that you know which accounts your children are accessing and confirm permissions with you. Please find attached a parent permission form related to online accounts for your child. Online Accounts Permission
11. After School Activities Sign Up
12. Japanese Outline